Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Green Chili Enchilada Soup

I'm really not an extremely picky person, and it doesn't take a lot to make me happy. 
Take for instance (just randomly, of course) a basket of chips and bowl of salsa - HEAVEN!!!! 
See? 
And the more Mexican food I eat, the happier I am!
So I already had a love for enchiladas to begin with, but to be honest, I kind of halted for a little bit as "enchilada soup" processed through my brain. 

It's like "oh that would be good! Wait. Would that really be good? Yeah. Yeah, I'd try that. Well, maybe one day."

Finally, I just stopped thinking about it, and made it. 

Light bulb moment!!!
Why hadn't I made this earlier?!

Thick, creamy, spicy...delicious!
I'm not gonna tell you it tastes just like an enchilada, only all mixed up together in a bowl. 
Because it honestly doesn't taste like that at all 
(thank goodness...still having trouble processing that). 
BUT!! It is very, very, VERY yummy!!! 
It has all the goodness of an enchilada, but, well, just without the "en." 
In it's raw (a.k.a. just cooked according to directions) form, it's just the "chilada" part. 
That's where you an get creative...you get to decide how this gets an "en." 

Do you want to put this in a warm tortilla shell? Go ahead!
Or would you like to use some tortilla chips to scoop this up? My personal favorite!
Would you like to serve this with some cheesy muffins, biscuits or another type of bread? That's how Bradley loves it!
Or would you rather leave this "en-less" and just have a party with you, your bowl of "chilada" soup and a spoon???? More power to ya!

Whatever you choose to have or not have with this, and however you choose to eat it, and whether or not you choose to share it...I hope you love it!!!!!




2 Chicken Breasts
1 (28-30 ounce) container Chicken Broth
1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
1 (8 ounce) can diced green chiles
2/3 cup water
4 & 1/4 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup frozen corn
2/3 cup instant rice
1 (8 ounce) bar cream cheese, cubed

Place the chicken in a crock-pot.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Shred with two forks.
Add chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
Add corn, rice and cream cheese. Stir.
Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
Use a whisk to break up any chunks of cream cheese still remaining.
Switch crock-pot to warm until ready to serve!
Enjoy!!!

Note:
-This is pretty spicy with the green enchilada sauce, the green chiles, and the spices. So if you would prefer this to be a little more toned down to accommodate more palettes...I would suggest doing one small (4 ounce) can of green chiles, instead of the bigger can. This will help a whole lot in the spicy-level-department.
-Some canned green enchilada sauces are not gluten-free, so make sure to check the label if you are making this gluten-free. I get mine at the Aldi grocery store. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving your questions or comments!